1st CANADIAN SCIENTIFIC MEETING ON WELLBEING 2018
Co - hosted by The Canadian Positive Psychology Association (CPPA) & the University of Toronto, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
Location: Victoria College, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario Canada
Date: May 23, 2018
We are currently accepting submissions for the First Canadian Scientific Meeting on WellBeing ("Scientific Meeting"). Immediately following this meeting, the 4th Canadian Positive Psychology Association Conference ("Main Conference") will be hosted from May 24th to 25th.
The Scientific Meeting is primarily intended for researchers, graduate students, and honours thesis students, and as such the presentations will be geared toward an academic audience. The aim is to host an event which will enable Canada’s well-being researchers to share research insights and tools.
We invite submissions for 5 and 10 minute individual talks as well as poster presentations on all areas of well-being research, broadly defined. In addition to these presentations we will also hear from 3 distinguished keynotes and host a facilitated and interactive panel discussion. Across the day there will also be time allocated for debate, discussion, and networking.
Submissions should include a 200-word abstract with background, methods, results, and discussion, as well as a 150-word biography clarifying your education, institutional affiliation, and research experience. If an abstract is not accepted for a 10 minute talk, it will automatically be considered for a 5 minute talk or poster presentation.
Finally, each presenter will be invited to sign up to create a 5 minute video-taped presentation with our videographer (during lunch and break times) in which your current research can be presented, as well your thoughts on what you look for in selecting graduate students. These videos will become a part of an online video library made available by the CPPA.
1. This site does not save drafts and must be completed in one sitting. It also “times out” after an extended period of time and does not save your information. We suggest you complete your submission in a word document and then copy and paste the answers into this site.
2. You are most welcome to submit the same abstract to BOTH the main conference and the scientific meeting by completing both forms. Please consider how you will gear it toward the appropriate audience:
For the main conference
, please make sure you aim at a broad audience and provide concrete tools that attendees can apply in their practices, workplaces, and lives
For the scientific meeting
, please make sure you provide the level of detail that you would to a primarily academic audience
Speaker Guidelines and Terms of Your Application and Presentation
When you submit this proposal you agree to all terms listed below
1. You must submit the completed Proposal Form by Midnight January 14, 2018.
2. One presenter must be identified as the Principal Presenter and all co-presenters are bound by these Guidelines and Terms of Your Application and Presentation.
You must list all co-presenters with their contact information provided on the Call for Proposals form.
Acceptance or Decline
Scientific Meeting follow-up information including acceptance or decline of the proposal and registration code will be sent via e-mail to the Principal Presenter during the week of February 5, 2018 who will then have the responsibility to pass the information on to all additional co-presenter(s).
All Scientific meeting presenters must register for the 1st Canadian Scientific Meeting on Wellbeing
You will be given two options for registration:
Option 1: Register for the Main Conference AND the Scientific Meeting
With your acceptance you will receive a presenter discount for the full 2-day registration fee using the presenter code. Registration is a two-step process:
1) Register for the Main Conference using your presenter code. Your registration for the Main Conference will allow you to register for the Scientific Meeting at a substantially reduce rate, using a discount code that will be automatically sent to you after completing your conference registration, and then
2) Register for the Scientific Meeting.
Option 2: Register for the Scientific Meeting ONLY
You may register as a presenter at the Scientific Meeting at the full rate indicated on the registration page
5. Response To The Acceptance
a. 1st Canadian Scientific Meeting on Wellbeing Registration is required to confirm your acceptance. All presenters agree to register for the 1st Canadian Scientific Meeting on Wellbeing by February 16, 2018.
b. Exclusive Hotel Rate for Presenters: Once you have registered for the conference you will receive a special reservation link to the Marriott Courtyard Hotel where we have secured a very limited number of rooms at a special rate available for speakers only. IMPORTANT Notice: May is the busiest month for conferences in Toronto. It is expected that all hotels will be at capacity during May. Rates go up as hotels vacancies go down. Current rates in May 2017 were $280.00. and up per night at most hotels.
c. Introduction to the Chair, Speaker Relations: You will be introduced to the Chair Of Speaker Relations, who will be your primary point of contact for the conference from that point forward,
All scientific meeting rooms will be set theatre style,
7. AV Requirements
a. You will be provided with a Windows-based computer with Microsoft Powerpoint software, a microphone (in larger rooms) , an LCD projector, and a display screen.
b. You will be asked to bring a copy of your presentation on a USB flash drive to the conference and requested to load your presentation on the laptop at breakfast or lunch time preceding your presentation with the help of one of our volunteers.
c. If you have additional technical or audio-visual needs, we will let you know if we can accommodate you. Internet access is available in all of our presentation rooms.
8.Bring Your Own Handouts
a. If you wish to provide handouts during your session, please note that you will need to bring your own
b. CPPA will not be able to print these or make additional copies at the conference.
9. The presentation we expect is based on the abstract submitted in your call for proposal submission.
10. Posters will be displayed for a 4ft x 4ft space or 121cm x 121cm space
11. Marketing and Sales:
Let the content and style of your presentation be a wonderful example of the quality of your work and your knowledge in the field but during your session you and all presenters agree not sell or promote any particular product or service. The focus of our conference is to share knowledge for the purposes of education. If you wish to promote your services, materials or products, please contact the conference manager at email@example.com
12. Unable to attend:
If you are unable to attend the conference, you agree to find a suitable replacement to present the submission as described in your abstract no later than March 23,2018.
13. The CPPA reserves the right to change the date/time of your session but all changes will be communicated to you.
14. The CPPA will not provide honoraria, waive conference registration fees, or reimburse travel and accommodation expenses or any other expenses related to this conference.
a. The CPPA will publicize and promote each session and presenter by posting online the abstract and biography you have forwarded us, and by placing briefer descriptions in the printed and/or online conference program and other marketing materials.
b. CPPA reserves the right to edit abstracts, titles and biographies, make final presentation selections, and take pictures of your session or film your session for posting on our CPPA website and social media.
16. Please note that, although it is not always possible to do so, every effort will be made to accommodate your preferred session choice. All 60-minute sessions should leave at least 15 minutes at the end for question and answer. Please be mindful that the presenter(s) in the session following yours need time to set-up so you should leave the room ready for them according to the end time noted in the schedule.
17. Knowledge Transfer:
For main conference sessions: In your presentations, In addition to your research findings/ interventions, please provide enriching material that helps the audience connect with the importance and implications of the work, such as take-home messages, theoretical basis, personal anecdotes, dilemmas, discussion questions, and so on.
18. You attest that the material in your presentation is created and owned by you and will not infringe the copyrights of others.
19. The CPPA may promote your session, including anything contained in this application on its website, in a brochure, flyer, social media or a press release; your image may also be used in the promotion of the conference.
20. You agree to make your presentation slides available on the CPPA website in our members-only section of our website.
We look forward to having you present at the 1st Canadian Scientific Meeting on Wellbeing. Thank you
Name of Principal Presenter
Address Line 2
State / Province / Region
Postal / Zip Code
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina
British Indian Ocean Territory
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Republic of the Congo
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Sao Tome and Principe
Trinidad and Tobago
United Arab Emirates
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Virgin Islands, British
Virgin Islands, U.S.
Biography (education and experience) - 150 Word limit
Biography for conference program (Print-Ready) - 50 Word Limit
Please list all other presenters who will be presenting at the Scientific Meeting
Please list all co-authors including those who will not be presenting at the Scientific Meeting
Title of Presentaion
Abstract: Please provide an abstract of 200 words with the following information, organized under the headings indicated: Background, Methods, Results and Conclusions.] [200 word limit -please prepare print ready]
Please provide at least one journal article references/citation that supports your proposed presentation, as our organization emphasizes rigorous research and evidence-based practice:
Please indicate if you are submitting this proposal to present a talk or a poster
Do Not Fill This Out